Thursday, October 8, 2009

Frustration

That's what I have. Frustration. Lots of it.

Last night I attended a support group for physically disabled adults, which is so new it doesn't even have a name yet. Last nights topic: budget cuts. The easiest way to explain this is there are two programs:

DDA: Provides long term support services for the disabled. The waiting list is forever long (some wait 5 years or better) & priority is based on need. I'm on the crisis resolution list, which are the people who are next on the list to get services. I've been actively waiting for services for 3 years now.

Rolling Access: Provides short term support to people while they are waiting to get DDA. Services not to exceed $3000 in a fiscal year & consider your self lucky if you get the full amount.

Things RA money has gotten me:

Someone to come in, knock down & reconstruct walls in my house, so that I can better access my bedroom with the wheelchair I'm sitting in - which is nothing like the one I had before it.

A grab bar so I can have better assistance in the bathroom, which allows me to get in a out of the shower independently & safely. Something I had to depend on someone else for until I got the bar.

An automatic door opener for the front door. This allows me to freely open and close the door independently & easily. This allows me to get out of my house swiftly in an emergency, & do other things (that people take for granted) like get the mail, walk the dog, go out on the porch & read, go to the van. You get the picture - it basically allows me access in & out of the house whenever I want. Another example of the services that other people who have the money do is they may choose to use it on respite care, like having aides come to the house or go to summer camp.

What's next on the list of things to get done for me? A door opener for the back door. These are not big things, but they are life changing. And they ARE big to me. They are not only big, they're HUGE.

My frustration? Budget cuts. Big changes. Changes that don't effect long term support people (who get a 2% decrease) in they're budget, at least not YET. Example: Someone that gets $10,000 a yr will be reduced only $200. While short term people (like Me) get NO MORE support. In less you count the ONE time in a LIFETIME support, not to exceed $3000. That means if you got a $250 grab bar, sorry about your luck.

Oh, and that waiting list - yeah, sorry about your luck on that too. We're not excepting new people this year.

These effects (plus other changes that re complicated & I won't go into for the sake of this blog & my sanity) take place Nov. 1st, only a few short weeks from now, which may allow me to get a door opener for the back door. The question still remains if that will be my lifetime assistance. I have no clue.

So, sorry this is long, but I had a lot to say. As I go about my day, I'll remember to breathe & try not to let frustration get the best of me. And I hope that as you go about your day, you don't take the slightest thing for granted.

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea. It isn't fair that you have to wait. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter what happens with that service, God is still in control. He doesn't change and this didn't catch him by surprise. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails